Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My first ever game night

In January I was give the task of taking over and changing Teen Services at my library. The reason why I was given this task? I would love to say that it is because I am full of great ideas and have a creative flare and teen’s like me, but sadly it is because I am the youngest full time employee on staff. So over the next four months I started researching and using the tools that I have been given over the course of studying for my degree, and more specifically I started applying what we were talking about in this class to reach out to these teens. So with great pleading I was able to convince the director and board that I just HAD to have a Teen Game night. I won the argument of why (which if you watch the video you will see me talking about the why) and began planning the night. It was the biggest turn out that we ever had had for a teen event (throughout the night over 50 teens came in-normally only 2 show up for activities)! And more importantly the teens had a blast; they immediately started begging me for another night and wanted to know what other kind of events we have for them. That group alone has brought in their friends and the word has spread, that the library is an okay place to be. The most important thing and most exciting part for me was receiving the okay this past week from the library board to go out and by everything that I need to continue gaming for teens, as long as I explore the options of taking the Wii to assisted living center and maybe starting an Adult Game night.
I’ve included the YouTube video of the night!


No comments: