Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Fear of Blogs

The media blog was not one of the portfolio pieces I intended to complete when I submitted my portfolio plan. Honestly the word “blog” scared me! I was not familiar with blogs other than stumbling across them when doing an internet search. With that said, I am so glad I ended up using the blog. If it wouldn’t have been for this assignment, who knows when I would have ever learned to post a blog entry. To go with my last post…..this was just another accent that labeled me as a digital immigrant!

After using the class blog, I am embarrassed of my initial fears. It was so simple to post and I am hoping it is just as easy to start my own blog. In my first post I mentioned that blogs were one of the many things that are blocked on school computers. Although I don’t imagine all blogs will ever be unblocked in the school setting, I think my students could benefit from using a blog for educational purposes. As the new librarian next year I would like to incorporate a blog for our high school library where students could post book reviews. For Valentines Day the library had a contest. Students made valentines to describe a book they loved. There was an overwhelming response and I still observe students reading the valentines that are posted near the books they describe. This would be an opportunity for them to share the books they enjoy and use a blog at school!

No comments: